Pages

Pan and Tilt kit on its way

I just ordered a pan and tilt system from ServoCity - the SPT100. It can carry up to 10 ounces in weight, which should be sufficient for a bulb (even the smart ones) and a socket.

I intend to use this to control the direction of a light bulb, as opposed to the more typical uses such as camera or airplane. The SPT100 can be hung upside down per spec - exactly what I need!

The project will be developed in phases:
1. Start with one pan & tilt and write/test code to control it using raspberry pi with a servo controller if necessary.
2. Separately plan/design the bulb dimming and color control. Do I:
  • use a packaged solution - such as the super expensive and feature-rich Philips Hue - or 
  • design a limited version myself (good enough for a garage) with a cheaper RGBW led bulb
3. Integrate 1 and 2. If the solution so far is fully home-grown in my garage with no smart bulbs, the connections are bound to be hard-wired. Networking (zigbee, bluetooth, wifi) will happen at a later stage.

4. Scale: What if I wanted 6 bulbs in a room, all individually controlled by the pi?

5. Installation planning: Track lighting system is one possibility to explore